Col. Robert LEWIS
HAIRSTON.org ID#1613, b. 4 May 1704, d. 10 January 1765
|Father*||John LEWIS1 b. 30 Nov 1669, d. 14 Nov 1725|
|Mother*||Elizabeth WARNER d. 5 Feb 1719/20|
|Birth*||Col. Robert LEWIS was born on 4 May 1704 in Warner Hall, Virginia.1|
|He was the son of John LEWIS and Elizabeth WARNER.1|
|Marriage*||Col. Robert LEWIS married Jane MERIWETHER, daughter of Nicholas MERIWETHER and Elizabeth CRAWFORD, in 1725.1,2|
|Property*||Robert Lewis obtaines a land grant for 5,200 acres in North Garden on the head of the north branch of the hardwar River in Goochland County, Virginia. Peter Hairston, hugh Dobbins Jr. and James Woods would later acquire adjoining land.|
|Property||Col. Robert LEWIS was an adjacent landowner of Hugh DOBBINS Jr. on 28 August 1746 in North Garden, Goochland County, Virginia; Hugh Dobbins, Jr. obtained 390 acres in Goochland, County in the North Garden adjacent to Robert Lewis, Dobbin's cornfield and William Taylor, 28 Aug 1746.3|
|Property||James Wood obtained 190 acres in Goochland County on the head branches of Ivy Creek, adjacent to Michael Wood, Robert Lewis and Hugh Dobbins, 12 January 1747.4|
|Property||North Garden, Albemarle County, Virginia, - on 12 January 1747 Peter Hairstone acquired a patent for 250 acres next to land owned by Robert Lewis. Robert Lewis was the grandfather of Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Peter's property was in Albemarle County when the patent was recorded, however, it was surveyed prior to 1744 when this land was in Goochland County. - Virginia Land Office Patents No. 25, 1745-1747, p. 528-530. FSL 8570212-545. Note: Peter and his wife Agnes sold this land on 24 October 1762.5,6,7|
|Property||Col. Robert LEWIS was an adjacent landowner of Peter HAIRSTON "The Immigrant" on 28 April 1752 in North Garden, Albemarle County, Virginia; On 2 June 1752, John Bays has 90 acres surveyed in North Garden, Albemarle County. This land is adjacent to Peter Hairstone, Robert Lewis, William Brannum (Bramham) and Thomas Evans. On 30 August 1763, John Bays patents the 90 acres in North Garden, page 438. - FSL 8151807.8,5,9|
|Will*||Col. Robert LEWIS left a will on 1 September 1757.10|
|Death*||He died on 10 January 1765 at age 60.|
|Burial*||He was buried in Belvoir Family Cemetery, Albemarle, Virginia.|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 11 December 1766 in Albemarle County, Virginia.10|
- [S235] Sorley, Merrow E. Lewis of Warner Hall: The History of a Family, Including the Genealogy of Descendants in Both the Male and Female Lines, Biographical Sketches of Its Members, and Their Descent from Other Early Virginia Families. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1979.
- [S3388] Watson, Annah Robinson, 1848-1930. Some Notable Families of America. New York, N.Y., 1898, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3123] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Six, 1749-1762. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1998. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3122] Hudgins, Denis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Five, 1741-1749. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1994. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3124] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Seven, 1762-1776. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1999. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3282] Goochland County Virginia Patents 25, 1745-1747, p. 528, Reel 23, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3617] The Virginia Genealogical Society. Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly and Magazine of Virginia Genealogy. Volume 28, August 1990, Number 3, page 198, Ancestry.com.
- [S3094] Grundset, Eric. Land Lying in the County of Albemarle: Albemarle County, Virginia Surveyor's Plat Books, Volumes 1, Part Land 2, and Volume 2, 1744-1853, [and 1892]. Fairfax, Va: E.G. Grundset, 1998. Print., Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3660] Albemarle Co VA Surveyor's Book vol 1, 1750-1755, Page 220. Family History Library, Film #008152047., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3588] King, J. E. S. (1940). Abstracts of wills, inventories, and administration accounts of Albemarle County, Virginia (1748-1800) Amherst County, Virginia (1761-1800).
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/99022, Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3086] Minor, Louisa H. A., The Meriwethers and Their Connections: A Family Record, Giving the Genealogy of the Meriwethers In America Together With Biographical Notes And Sketches. Albany, N.Y.: J. Munsell's Sons, 1892. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.32044019647304, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3068] Will of John Rowland - 1780 - Henry County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 37-39. Family Search Library Film #7645134, images 29-30.,Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
|Last Edited||4 Sep 2023|