Robert Andrew HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#113, b. 28 November 1829, d. 11 November 1864
|Father*||Hardin HAIRSTON1 b. 23 Oct 1786, d. 23 Oct 1862|
|Mother*||Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES1 b. 1 Oct 1791, d. 4 May 1845|
|Birth*||Robert Andrew HAIRSTON was born on 28 November 1829 in Old Fort, Virginia. "Robert Andrew Hairston was born Saturday 28th November 1829" - from Harden Hairston Bible.2,1|
|He was the son of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES.1|
|College*||Robert Andrew HAIRSTON graduated college on 5 June 1850 in University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.3,4 |
|Tax Rolls*||Robert A. Hairston paid 1851 taxes in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 1 watch $75, 50 cattle, 1 poll, state tax $.63, county tax $.63. Lowndes County Tax 1851, page 17. Family History Library Film #008610738, image 437.|
|Tax Rolls||R. A. Hairston paid 1852 taxes in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 1 carriage $100, 1 watch $50, 1 horse of $75, 1 white polls, state tax $1.37, county tax $1.37. Lowndes County Tax 1852, page 15. Family History Library Film #008610738, image 484.|
|Marriage*||He married Mary HAYS on 10 July 1856 in Greene County, Alabama. After their marriage, they took a trip to New York.5,1,6|
|Tax Rolls||Robert A. Hairston paid 1857 taxes in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 0 white polls, 36 slaves between 5 and 60, state tax $14.40. Lowndes County Tax 1857, page 18. Family History Library Film #008610738, image 582.|
|Tax Rolls||Robert A. Hairston paid 1859 taxes in Lowndes County, Mississippi; 0 white polls, 39 slaves between 5 and 60, state tax $15.60. Lowndes County Tax 1859, page 20. Family History Library Film #008610738, image 637.|
|Census 1860*||Robert Andrew HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 9 June 1860 in Eutaw, Greene County, Alabama, R A Hariston 30 planter b. VA, M H Hariston 24 b. AL.2|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, Robert Andrew HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122. PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.7|
|Death*||He died on 11 November 1864 at age 34. "Died 11th November 1864 7 O'Clock in the morning" - from Harden Hairston Bible.1|
|Probate*||His estate was probated in July 1866 in Greene County, Alabama. Mary Hays Hairston was appointed the executor of her husband Robert's estate on 14 December 1864 and did an inventory of the estate on the 18th December 1864. Mary Hays Hairston died on 28 February 1865 before she finished administering the estate of her husband. Charles Hays was appointed the administer.|
Robert's children Percy and Ada were minors and there a guardian papers filed in the court.
In the papers Robert is mentioned as Robert H. and Robert A.6
|Probate||He was mentioned in the probate of the estate of George HAIRSTON on 6 June 1885 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Case No. 2019, Estate Files 2011-2051. A pdf copy is attached.8|
|Mary HAYS b. 13 May 1836, d. 23 Feb 1865|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S33] Wheeler, Col. John H., Graduates of the University of North Carolina 1798-1851, Historical Sketches of North Carolina 1851.
- [S3009] The North-Carolinian, Fayetteville, North Carolina, June 15, 1850.
- [S34] Alabama, U.S., Marriage Index, 1800-1969 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
- [S3669] Probate - R A Hairston 1866 (only part of file is attached) - "Alabama Estate Files, 1830-1976," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VNTV-F94 : 26 December 2021), R H Hairston, 1866; citing Greene County courthouse, Alabama; FHL microfilm 2,385,563., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122. Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9Q6-RFZ9 : 21 May 2014), Lowndes > Wills 1847-1889 vol 1 > image 82 of 341; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S3317] Lowndes County Chancery Court Records, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
|Last Edited||28 Mar 2022|