Robert Percy HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#521, b. 12 February 1863, d. 21 December 1892
|Father*||Robert Andrew HAIRSTON1 b. 28 Nov 1829, d. 11 Nov 1864|
|Mother*||Mary HAYS2 b. 13 May 1836, d. 23 Feb 1865|
|Birth*||Robert Percy HAIRSTON was born on 12 February 1863.|
|He was the son of Robert Andrew HAIRSTON and Mary HAYS.1,2|
|Will||In Mary HAYS's will dated 4 February 1865 in Greene County, Alabama, Robert Percy HAIRSTON was named as an heir.2|
|Marriage*||He married Marie Virginia WOOD on 11 February 1890 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.3|
|Will*||Robert Percy HAIRSTON left a will on 28 July 1891 in Greene County, Alabama. The attached will was recorded in the Lowndes County, Mississippi Will Book 2, page 80. Family Search Library Film #5835940, images 66.|
|Death*||He died on 21 December 1892 at age 29. R. P. Hairston was murdered outside his store by Jim Rencher. Rencher was hung in the jail yard in 1893 for his crime.4|
|Burial*||He was buried in Mesopotamia Cemetery, Greene County, Alabama. Epitaph reads "In loving remembrance of - Robert Percy Hairston - Born at Eytaw, Ala. Feb. 12, 1863 - Assassinated at Haysville - Greene Co., Ala. - Dec. 21 1892 - Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord."5|
|Probate||His estate was probated on 12 January 1893 in Greene County, Alabama.6|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 14 February 1894 in Lowndes County, Mississippi. Lowndes County Will Book 2, page 80-81. Family Search Library Film #5835940, images 66.7|
|Marie Virginia WOOD|
- [S3669] Probate - R A Hairston 1866 (only part of file is attached) - "Alabama Estate Files, 1830-1976," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VNTV-F94 : 26 December 2021), R H Hairston, 1866; citing Greene County courthouse, Alabama; FHL microfilm 2,385,563., Family Search Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3318] Will of Mary Hays Hairston - 04 February 1865, Greene County, Alabama; Estate Case 1861-1873, Ancestry.com.
- [S3144] Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S3338] Jacobson, K. R., & Greene County Historical Society (Greene County, Ala.). (2007). Greene County and Mesopotamia Cemetery. Charleston, SC: Arcadia.
- [S3465] Alabama, Wills and Probate Records 1753-1999, Ancestry.com.
- [S96] Lowndes County Mississippi Will Book.
|Last Edited||2 Aug 2023|