Col. James CALLAWAY
HAIRSTON.org ID#945, b. 25 December 1735, d. 1 November 1809
|Father*||Col. William CALLAWAY1,2 b. 1714, d. a 1777|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Tilley CRAWFORD|
|Birth*||Col. James CALLAWAY was born on 25 December 1735 in Virginia.2|
|He was the son of Col. William CALLAWAY and Elizabeth Tilley CRAWFORD.1,2|
|Marriage*||Col. James CALLAWAY married Sarah TATE on 24 November 1756.3|
|Military*||1758 - Bedford County Militia.4|
|Elected*||Col. James CALLAWAY was Elected between 1765 and 1771; represented Bedford County in the House of Burgess from 1785 to 1771.5|
|Death Spouse*||He's wife, Sarah Tate, died in 1773.3|
|Marriage*||He married Elizabeth EARLY, daughter of Col. Jeremiah EARLY II, on 22 September 1777 in Virginia.5,3,6|
|Military||James Callaway was sworn in as a Lieutenant in the Bedford County Virginia Militia on 28 Dec 1778.7|
|County Change*||1782 - Campbell County formed from Bedford County.|
|Death Spouse||Col. James CALLAWAY's wife, Elizabeth Early, died in 1796.3|
|Marriage*||He married Mary LANGHORNE in 1799.3|
|Death*||Col. James CALLAWAY died on 1 November 1809 in near New London, Campbell County, Virginia, at age 73.8,9|
|Burial*||He was buried in Callaway-Steptoe Cemetery, Bedford County, Virginia; |
Photo: Find A Grave by PictureTaker.9
|Elizabeth EARLY b. 3 Feb 1759, d. 1796|
|Sarah TATE b. 1735, d. 1773|
- [S3244] Carl Greenway Letter to Anne Hobbie- 2 Aug 1966, unknown repository.
- [S3245] Bible - Callaway - Early Family 1712-1887, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3074] Hale, Nathaniel Claiborne, Roots In Virginia: an Account of Captain Thomas Hale, Virginia Frontiersman, His Descendants And Related Families. With Genealogies And Sketches of Hale, Saunders, Lucke, Claiborne, Lacy, Tobin And Contributing Ancestral Lines. Philadelphia?, 1948.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89066151580, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3038] Hening, William Waller - The Statutes at Large; Being a Collection of All the Laws of Virginia from the First Session of the Legislature in the year 1619. Richmond, 1810-1823. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.31210002606166, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S27] Early, R H. Campbell Chronicles and Family Sketches: Embracing the History of Campbell County, Virginia, 1782-1926. Lynchburg, Va: J.P. Bell Co, 1927. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b3624083, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3379] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge, Capt., History and Genealogy of the Buford Family In America, Revised and Enlarged Edtion, 1903. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89080566136, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S149] McAllister, J T. Virginia Militia in the Revolutionary War: Mcallister's Data. Hot Springs, Va: McAllister Pub. Co, 1913. Print. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/njp.32101013939630, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S77] Brown, Alexander, The Cabells and Their Kin - A Memorial Volume, The Riverside Press, Cambridge 1895 https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89058675919, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
|Last Edited||23 Mar 2018|