John Willis LOMAX
HAIRSTON.org ID#3938, b. 21 December 1810, d. 30 January 1896
|Father*||Col. George W. LOMAX1 b. 4 Feb 1780, d. 14 Nov 1843|
|Mother*||Barbara H. ARNOLD1 b. a 1785|
|Birth*||John Willis LOMAX was born on 21 December 1810 in Abbeville County, South Carolina.1,2,3|
|He was the son of Col. George W. LOMAX and Barbara H. ARNOLD.1|
|Marriage*||John Willis LOMAX married Elizabeth Brooks KELLER, daughter of David KELLER and Rebecca CROMER, on 29 December 1836.1|
|Will||In Col. George W. LOMAX's will dated about 1843 in Abbeville District, South Carolina, John Willis LOMAX was named as an heir.4|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 4 December 1850 in Saluda Regiment, Abbeville County, South Carolina, John W 40, Elizabeth 31, Barbary A C 13, William G 10, Savannah M 8, David K 5, Elizabeth R 2 |
Winny Bagwell 23.2
|Will||He witnessed the will of Jane (surname unknown) on 4 June 1853 in Abbeville County, South Carolina; Executor: David Keller, Esq. (wife is Nancy Lomax, daughter of William Lomax and Nancy Hairston)|
Witnesses: John W. Lomax, Garlington Owens, Elizabeth B. Lomax.
Heirs: Nephew James Wesley Johnson, (son Jane Johnson and Toliver Johnson of Panola, MS), Thomas Johnston, James H Martin and wife Rachel Martin of Tippah, MS, William Gray (son of John Gray deceased), William Gray (son of James Gray deceased), Mary Ann Thompson, Sarah Jane Lomax (daughter of John and Elizabeth Lomax).
PDF copies of will are attached here.5
|Death*||John Willis LOMAX died on 30 January 1896 at age 85.3|
|Burial*||He was buried in Ebenezer Methodist Church Cemetery, Abbeville County, South Carolina.3|
|Elizabeth Brooks KELLER b. 27 Nov 1819, d. 4 Aug 1876|
- [S279] Lomax, Joseph, Genealogical and Historical Sketches of The Lomax Family, The Rookus Printing House, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1894.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
- [S3182] Will of George Lomax c1843, Abbeville District, South Carolina; Estate Packet Box 57, pkg. 1348, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- [S276] Will of Jane Hairston - 4 June 1853, Abbeville County Will Box 131, Pack 3799, South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
|Last Edited||23 Aug 2017|