HAIRSTON.org ID#3041, b. 16 December 1689
|Father*||Mathew HAIRSTANES of Craigs1 b. 22 Apr 1624, d. 7 May 1698|
|Birth*||Mathew HAIRSTANES was born on 16 December 1689 in Dumfries, Scotland.1|
|He was the son of Mathew HAIRSTANES of Craigs and Mary DOUGLAS.1|
|Anecdote*||"brother to William Hairstanes, Laird of Craig;; named as father of Agnes Rayning's child; compeared & denies fatherhood; names as father of Mary Miller's child; went to England" Dumfries Kirk Sessions, CH2/537/1.|
|NOTE*||Mathew Hairstanes was captured with Lord Nithsdale and about a 1,000 rebels in the '15 Rising that ended in Presteon, England.2|
|Occupation*||Mathew HAIRSTANES worked with John Drummond, Director of East India Company, along with Robert Douglas, John Mackenzie, and Dr. Littlejohn in trading with India. In 1726 Matthew Hairstanes and John Stackhouse were sent to Fort St. George in Madras, India (now called Chennai), to meet with Governor Thomas Pitt.3,4|
- [S115] The Transactions and Journal of Proceedings of the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society, Session 1969 , Printed at the Courier and Herald Offices, Dumfries, 1970. Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society, Dumfries, Scotland.
- [S203] History of the Transactions in Scotland in the years 1715-16, Volume 1, George Charles, Prince Charles Edward, (J. Fisher & Co., 1816).
- [S3021] McGilvary, George K., East India Patronage and the British State, Tauris Academic Studies - 2008.
- [S3426] Great Britain. Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts. Calendar of the Stuart Papers Belonging to His Majesty the King, Preserved At Windsor Castle Vol. VII, London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Mackie & co. ld., 1923., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S180] Old Parish Records - Scotlands People. Online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
|Last Edited||2 May 2018|