Capt. Moses SHELBY
HAIRSTON.org ID#2841, b. 31 October 1760, d. 17 September 1828
|Father*||Evan SHELBY Jr.1,2 b. 23 Oct 1720, d. 4 Dec 1794|
|Mother*||Letitia COX1 b. 12 Jan 1727, d. 6 Sep 1777|
|Marriage*||Capt. Moses SHELBY married Millicent "Milly" RENFRO in Montgomery County, Tennessee.1,3,2|
|Birth*||Capt. Moses SHELBY was born on 31 October 1760 in Frederick County, Maryland.1,4,5|
|He was the son of Evan SHELBY Jr. and Letitia COX.1,2|
|Military*||1780 - He was with the Sullivan County regiment at "King's Mountain", Battle of Cowpens" and the taking of Augusta.5|
|Military||1781 - Battle of Cowpens.3|
|Marriage||Capt. Moses SHELBY married Elizabeth NEEL (NEIL), daughter of Col. Thomas NEEL and Jean SPRATT, on 1 March 1784.3,2|
|Military||The Statement of Col. Moses Shelby, made upon oath.|
I, Moses Shelby, do state that I was in the battle against the British and Tories upon King's Mountain on the 7th day of October 1780, in Col. Isaac Shelby's regiment. That I received two wounds in that action; by the last wound through my thigh near my body, I was rendered unable to walk, or to stand without help, and was assisted down to a branch, some small distance from the foot of the mountain, at the east end—at which place I saw Colonel William Campbell, (our commander) sitting on his black horse. I knew him perfectly as I was well acquainted with him. This was about the middle of the action, and I do know that Colonel Campbell did not leave that place until the battle was over, or until the firing had ceased. All this is true, and within my own knowledge. Given under my hand at New Madrid, this 2nd day of November, A.D. 1822. MOSES SHELBY.6,3
|Death*||Capt. Moses SHELBY died on 17 September 1828 in near, New Madrid County, Missouri, at age 67.1,5|
|SAR*||SAR Patriot Index Edition III.4|
|Millicent "Milly" RENFRO b. a 1767|
|Elizabeth NEEL (NEIL) b. 1763, d. 1819|
- [S169] Mackenzie, George Norbury, 1851-1919. Colonial Families of the United States of America: In Which Is Given the History, Genealogy And Armorial Bearings of Colonial Families Who Settled In the American Colonies From the Time of the Settlement of Jamestown, 13th May, 1607, to the Battle of Lexington, 19th April, 1775. New York: The Grafton Press, 1907. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89058675869, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S3321] Wilkinson, M. M., Genealogy of Wilkinson and Kindred Families, Shelby Book Store, Shelby, Mississippi - 1949. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89062464664, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S173] Moon, Mary Ann. Sketches of the Shelby, McDowell, Deaderick, Anderson Families, The University of Wisconsin - Madison - 1933 https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89066319427, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S113] Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications.
- [S84] Shelby Family - Mr. Cass Knight Shelby - Judith A. Trolinger - East Tennesse State University, Johnson City, TN.
- [S3320] The Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries, Volume V, A. S. Barnes & Company, New York and Chicago, 1880, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
|Last Edited||20 Aug 2017|