Col. John ERVIN
HAIRSTON.org ID#2632, b. 25 March 1754, d. 5 May 1810
|Father*||John ERVIN Esq.1,2 b. a 1733, d. 18 Mar 1773|
|Mother*||Elizabeth ELLISON1 b. a 1733, d. 18 Nov 1795|
|Birth*||Col. John ERVIN was born on 25 March 1754 in Williamsburg, Craven County, South Carolina.3,1|
|He was the son of John ERVIN Esq. and Elizabeth ELLISON.1,2|
|County Name||1769 - Georgetown District created from extinct Craven County.|
|Death Father||"John Ervin or Irvine my honored father departed this life at 12 o'clock of the day on 18th Mch. 1773."1|
|Marriage*||Col. John ERVIN married Jane WITHERSPOON, daughter of Gavin WITHERSPOON and Jane Jean JAMES, on 10 January 1775.1,2|
|Military*||Col. John Ervin served in the South Carolina Militia under Gen. Francis Marion's Brigade during the Revolutionary War. |
Col. John Ervin is recognized as a Patriot by the DAR (National Society Daughters of the American Revolution) and the SAR (National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.)3,4,5
|Death Son||His son, John Ervin (8 months old, 1st of 3 sons named John), died on 9 October 1780.1|
|Military||"L Col John Ervin was appointed full Col. in the room of Col. Hugh Giles and is to take Command and to Obey. As Such."6|
|County Name||1785 - Liberty District created within Georgetown District.|
|Death Daughter||His daughter, Jane Ervin (2 years old), died on 14 August 1786.1|
|Death Son||His son, John Ervin (2 years old, 2nd of 3 sons named John), died on 13 November 1788.1|
|Death Spouse*||His wife, Jane Whiterspoon (37 years old), died on 20 September 1790.1|
|Death Daughter||His daughter, Sara Ervin, died on 26 January 1791.1|
|Marriage*||Col. John ERVIN married Margaret ERVIN, daughter of Hugh ERVIN and Elizabeth JAMES, on 6 October 1791.1,2|
|Death Mother||"Elizabeth Ervin my loving mother and consort to John Ervin Sr. passed about midnight 18th Nov. 1795, lamented by family and community."1|
|Death Daughter||His daughter, Mary Ervin (almost 2 years old), died on 3 October 1796.1|
|Death Spouse||His wife, Margaret Ervin, died on 3 August 1798.1|
|County Name*||1798 - Marion District formed from old Liberty County.|
|Marriage*||Col. John ERVIN married Hannah BLACKWELL on 10 October 1801.1|
|Death*||Col. John ERVIN died on 5 May 1810 at age 56.1|
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 25 May 1810 in Marion County, South Carolina; "Granted a citation to James R. Ervin to administor on the Estate of John Ervin dec'd." Ordinary Court, Marion County Minute Book, 25 May 1810. South Carolina Probate Records, Family Search.|
Col. John Ervin (died 1810) of Williamsburg and Capt. John Irwin (died 1796) of Abbeville are not the same person. John Irwin's will was probated in 1796 and was administered by his wife Mary.
|Jane WITHERSPOON b. 23 Jan 1753, d. 20 Sep 1790|
|Margaret ERVIN b. 22 Jun 1770, d. 3 Aug 1798|
- [S148] Bible - Col. John Ervin 1754-1810, Ancestry.com.
- [S3527] Boyd, L. (Lucinda). (1908). The Irvines and their kin: revised by the author in Scotland, Ireland and England; a history of the Irvine family and their descendants. Also short sketches of their kindred, the Carlisles, McDowells, Johnstons, Maxwells, Gaults, McElroys, etc., from A.D. 373 down to the present time. Chicago: R.R. Donnelley & sons company., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S291] SAR - Application of Senator Samuel James Ervin, Jr. - 1961 86112,.
- [S233] Moss, Bobby Gilmer, Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Ancestry.com.
- [S3611] Col. John Ervin, AA File 2237, Claims Growing Out of The American Revolution, Series S108092, Reel 42, South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, SC.
- [S3612] No eBook available
Find in a library
All sellers »
O'Kelley, Patrick, Unwaried Patience and Fortitude: Francis Marion's Orderly Book
, unknown repository.
|Last Edited||6 Oct 2021|