John Coffman BAKER
HAIRSTON.org ID#1679, b. 6 November 1826, d. 29 September 1878
|Father*||Henry BAKER1 b. a 1799, d. 10 May 1872|
|Mother*||Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" COFFMAN2 b. a 1803, d. 28 Oct 1865|
|Birth*||John Coffman BAKER was born on 6 November 1826 in Virginia.3|
|He was the son of Henry BAKER and Mary Elizabeth "Betsy" COFFMAN.1,2|
|Travel*||The following letter was written on 19 June 1846 by G. W. Wilson in Virginia to Joseph S. Watkins in Memphis introducing John C. Baker.|
Blue Ridge Botetourt Va. June 19th 1846
Joseph S. Watkins Esqr.
Permit me to introduce to your acquaintance my friend John C. Baker Esqr. who visits Memphis with a view of probably settling there. Mr. Baker is a young gentleman of high moral standing, unquestionable integrity and fine business habits. I have known him from childhood & for the last six months he has lived in family prior to that he lived in a merchantile establishment in my vicinity (illegible) entire satisfaction. Any aid you may render him in getting a situation or otherwise will be buy him duly appreciated and will confer a favor on your old friend and acquaintance. G. W. Wilson.4
|Census 1850*||John Coffman BAKER appeared on the census of 16 November 1850 in District 9, Shelby County, Tennessee, John C Baker 23 merchant born in Virginia. He is staying with the Robert Williams family.5|
|Marriage*||He married Louisa Ann WEBBER, daughter of Rev. Matthew W. WEBBER and Martha WATKINS, on 2 April 1855 in Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee.6,3,7|
|Census 1870*||John Coffman BAKER appeared on the census of 12 February 1870 in District 15, Shelby County, Tennessee.8 |
|Probate*||His estate was probated between 1878 and 1879 in Shelby County, Tennessee; Probate records concerning the minor children, widow and property are recorded in Shelby County Probate Books 1878 Volume 31 (pages 389, 397, 431, 434, 455) and 1879 Volume 32 (pages 117, 186, 214, 255).|
|Death*||He died on 29 September 1878 at age 51.3|
|Death Certficate*||He died of Yellow Fever.|
|Burial*||He was buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee. |
|Louisa Ann WEBBER b. 14 Oct 1835, d. 1 Jan 1885|
- [S109] Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853–1912 Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
- [S3533] Dodd, Jordon R., et al., Early American Marriages Virginia to 1850 . Boutiful, UT, USA: Precision Indexing Publisher., Ancestry.com.
- [S164] Shelby. Bible - Shelby Family 1826-1970. N.p.: n.pub., unknown publish date. Martha Carroll, unknown location.
- [S3564] Letter from G W Wilson to Joseph S. Watkins, 19 June 1846 - original letter, not a copy, Personal Collection - original documents.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S84] Shelby, Cass K. - Paternal Ancestry of Louis Shelby - May 12,1953, Hollidaysburg. Penn'a.
- [S112] Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002. Nashville, TN, USA: Tennessee State Library and Archives. Microfilm. Ancestry.com.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2021|