George S. HAIRSTON1
HAIRSTON.org ID#737, b. 15 March 1838, d. 6 April 1862
|Father*||John Adams HAIRSTON2 b. 15 Mar 1799, d. 7 Sep 1849|
|Mother*||Malinda CORN2 b. a 1814, d. a 1882|
|Birth*||George S. HAIRSTON was born on 15 March 1838 in Yalobusha County, Mississippi.2,1|
|He was the son of John Adams HAIRSTON and Malinda CORN.2|
|Census 1850||George S. HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Malinda CORN in 1850 in Patrick County, Virginia.2 |
|College*||George S. HAIRSTON was attending Mississippi University between 1856 and 1857 in Oxford, Mississippi.3|
|Military||Mr. J. R. Armstrong wrote a to Jefferson Davis, Secretary of War for the United States in Washington D.C. to recommend George S. Hairston for admittance to West Point Military Academy. Jefferson Davis would later become President of the Confederacy.3|
|Military||U.S. Congressman Reuben Davis from Mississippi submitted an application in June of 1858 for George S. Hairston to attend West Point Military Academy.3|
|Passport*||He applied for a U.S. passport on 13 September 1860 in New York, New York.4. He was 5' 7.5", blue eyes and dark brown hair. --->|
|Military*||Private, Company H, 15th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry.5|
|Death*||He died on 6 April 1862 in Battle of Shiloh, Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, at age 24. I have not found any source for George being killed at Shiloh.|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S229] National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington D.C.; Passport Applications, 1795-1905; Collection Number: ARC Identifier 566612 / MLR Number A1 508; NARA Series: M1372;.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3336] U.S. Military Academy Cadet Application Papers, 1805-1866; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M688, 1 roll); Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1780’s-1917, Record Group 94; National Archives, Washington, D.C., Ancestry.com.
- [S138] United States Passport Application.
- [S3294] U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles 1861-1865, Ancestry.com.
|Last Edited||22 Aug 2017|