Dr. Peter Whitman ROWLAND
HAIRSTON.org ID#4798, b. 25 February 1861, d. 1943
|Father*||Dr. William Brewer ROWLAND1 b. 14 Dec 1825, d. 19 Jan 1870|
|Mother*||Mary Judith BRYAN1 b. 2 Dec 1829, d. 6 Mar 1903|
|Marriage*||Dr. Peter Whitman ROWLAND married Eugenia Susan HERRON.|
|Birth*||Dr. Peter Whitman ROWLAND was born on 25 February 1861 in Mississippi.1,2|
|He was the son of Dr. William Brewer ROWLAND and Mary Judith BRYAN.1|
|Census 1870||Dr. Peter Whitman ROWLAND appeared on the 1870 census of Mary Judith BRYAN in 1870 in Township 25, Yalobusha County, Mississippi.1 |
|Biography*||Rowland, Peter Whitman, physician, of Oxford, Miss., was born Feb. 25, 1861, at Oakland, Miss; son of Dr. William Brewer Rowland and Mary (Bryan) Rowland. (For ancestry see sketch of Creed Walker Rowland). Dr. Rowland was educated in the private schools of Memphis, Tenn., and at Oakland academy, after which he entered the Memphis Hospital medical college, from which he was graduated in 1882, with the degree of M. D. In 1882 he located in Coffeeville, Miss., for the practice of his profession, where he remained fifteen years. In 1887 he took a post graduate course in the New York Polyclinic and pursued studies in the hospitals of New York and Philadelphia. In 1897 he located at Oxford, Miss. He was elected president of the Mississippi medical association in 1894; was appointed a|
member of the State board of health from the Second congressional district in 1900 by Gov. A. H. Longino and was re-elected a member of the board by the State medical association in 1904. In 1903 Dr. Rowland was elected to the chair of Materia Medica in the medical
department of the State university. He is a member of the Presbyterian church and of the fraternal order of Masons. On Jan. 15, 1885, he married Eugenia Susan Herron, daughter of Samuel B. Herron and Victoria (Bridgers) Herron of Coffeeville, Miss. Dr. and Mrs. Rowland
have four children, Mary Victoria, Francis Herron, William Brewer and Peter Whitman.2
|Census 1920*||Dr. Peter Whitman ROWLAND appeared on the census of 1920 in 817 University Avenue, Oxford, Lafayette, Mississippi.3 |
|Census 1930*||He appeared on the census of 1930 in 817 University Avenue, Oxford, Lafayette, Mississippi.4 |
|Death*||He died in 1943; From DAR Application 74238, Miss Mary Victoria Rowland.5|
|Burial*||He was buried in Oxford Memorial Cemetery, Lafayette County, Mississippi.|
|Eugenia Susan HERRON b. 1865, d. 1941|
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3346] Rowland, Dunbar, 1864-1937. Mississippi: Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, And Persons, Arranged In Cyclopedic Form. Atlanta: Southern Historical Publishing Association, 1907., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1920] 1920 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1930] 1930 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S73] Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) - This information has been claimed, but I have no idea if it is accurate.
|Last Edited||25 Sep 2017|