HAIRSTON.org ID#2196, d. May 1628
|Mathew HAIRSTANES was the son of John HAIRSTANES.1|
|Property*||Purchases Over Keldwood from Alexander Gledstains (Archdeacon of St. Andrews.)1|
|Property||Granted by the King for his services in 1610 the 23 merkland of Middlebie.1,2|
|Marriage*||Mathew HAIRSTANES married Elizabeth GLEDSTANES, daughter of John GLEDSTANES and Agnes MAXWELL, in 1619; 1617 or 1619.1|
|Property||"Certificate of execution of letters of charge at the instance of Mr John Scharpe (Sharp) of Howstoun (Houstoun), advocate, against Robert, Earl of Nithisdaill (Nithsdale), John Maxwell of Conhaith (Conheath), Edward Maxwell of Hillis (Hills), Herbert Maxwell of Kilbene [Kilbane], and Mathew Hairstanes of Craigie." GD30/993.2|
|Court Record*||Matthew Hairstens was listed as a witness to "The Nithsdale Contract of 1628" between the Earl of Nithsdale and the Heritors of Langholm.3|
|Death*||Mathew HAIRSTANES died in May 1628.1|
|Property*||JOANNES HAIRSTANIS senior burgensis de Dumfries, heares Mathei Hairstanis de Craigs, fratis,--in annuo redditu 400m. de 20 libratis terrarum de Dumkow antiqui extentus, infra parochiam de Kirkmaho.--(Vide Kirkcudbright.) xi.93.|
also -- "heir to his brother Mathew Hairstanes of Craigs." NAS.Retours, Dumfries #139.4
|Probate*||His estate was probated on 30 December 1629 in Craigs, Dumfriesshire, Scotland; Hairstanes, Elizabeth, lawful daughter to umquhile Mathew H., of Craigs 30 Dec 1629.|
|Anecdote*||Maxwell vs Hairstaines.|
Thomas Maxwell had married Mathew Hairstanes widow and she died within the year. He was trying to inherit her estate.5
|Anna FERGUSSON d. 16 Jan 1684|
- [S97] Edgar, Robert. An Introduction To The History of Dumfries, J. Maxwell & Sons, Dumfries 1915, Personal Collection - pdf file of complete book.
- [S3024] National Records of Scotland (H.M. General Register House, 2 Princess Street, Edinburgh, Scotland).
- [S3115] Hyslop, John. Langholm As it Was: a History of Langholm and Eskdale From the Earliest Times. Sunderland, England: Hills, 1912. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/njp.32101062104441 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S117] Inqvisitionvm Ad Capellam Domini Regis Retornatarvm Quae In Pvblicia Archivis Scotiae, Abbreviatio. Vol. 1., (Great Britian: His Majesty King George III, 1840). Unknown repository.
- [S3023] Morison, William Maxwell, Decisions of the Court of Sessions, Bell & Bradfute, Edinburgh - 1803.
- [S180] Old Parish Records - Scotlands People. Online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
- [S191] Old Parish Records, Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society, Dumfries, Scotland.
- [S3020] Percy Walter Lewis Adams, History of the Douglas Family of Morton in Nithsdale (Dumfriesshire) and Fingland (Kirkcudbrightshire) & Their Descendants, The Sidney Press 1921.
|Last Edited||18 Aug 2016|