Major Samuel HALE
HAIRSTON.org ID#1307, b. 25 March 1839, d. 12 May 1864
|Father*||John Saunders HALE1 b. 1807, d. 25 Aug 1872|
|Mother*||Mary Judith EARLY1 b. 1814, d. 1841|
|Birth*||Major Samuel HALE was born on 25 March 1839 in Franklin County, Virginia.2|
|He was the son of John Saunders HALE and Mary Judith EARLY.1|
|Census 1850||Major Samuel HALE appeared on the 1850 census of John Saunders HALE in 1850 in Franklin County, Virginia.3|
|Census 1860||Major Samuel HALE appeared on the 1860 census of John Saunders HALE in 1860 in Southwestern District, Franklin County, Virginia.4|
|College*||Samuel was a student at the University of Virginia.5|
|Marriage*||Major Samuel HALE married Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON, daughter of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Matilda M. MARTIN, on 14 January 1864 in Henry, Virginia; He was 25 and she was 20.2,5|
|Military*||"Major Hale was acting Adjutnt-Genral of the Staff of his uncle, Genral Jubal A. Early. At the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, May 1864, he was sitting on his horse near Generals Lee and Gordon when General Lee ordered him to ride forward and try to rally his men. He galloped to the front and was killed a few minutes later."1,5|
|Death*||Major Samuel HALE died on 12 May 1864 at age 25; Battle of Spottslyvania Court House.|
|Burial*||He was buried in Spring Hill Cemetery, Lynchburg City, Virginia.|
|Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON b. 7 Jul 1843, d. 22 Apr 1930|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S68] The Marriage Register of Henry County Virginia Vol I , 1853-1878, Anne Vestal-Miller, (Old Mill Printers, Rocky Mount, VA 1998).
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S106] Early, R. H. The Family of Early: Which Settled Upon the Eastern Shore of Virginia And Its Connection With Other Families. Lynchburg, Va: [Brown-Morrison], 1920., Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
|Last Edited||21 Aug 2017|