Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#111, b. 13 April 1822, d. 27 April 1870
|Father*||Hardin HAIRSTON1,2 b. 23 Oct 1786, d. 23 Oct 1862|
|Mother*||Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES2 b. 1 Oct 1791, d. 4 May 1845|
|Birth*||Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON was born on 13 April 1822 in Old Fort, Patrick County, Virginia.2|
|He was the son of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES.1,2|
|College*||Between 1843 and 1844, attended in Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, "1226. *SAMUEL H. HAIRSTON, Columbus, Miss.: Henry Co., Va.: Lawyer: Planter: Killed in Capital Disaster, April 27, 1870." page 99.3|
|Marriage*||Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON married Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON, daughter of Samuel HAIRSTON and Agnes John Peter WILSON, on 13 June 1849 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi.2|
|Census 1860*||Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 27 June 1860 in Henry Co., Virginia, Saml H hairston 38 VA, Alice 29 VA, Hardin 2 VA.4|
|Military*||Received appointment as Major under General J.E.B. Stuart.5|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122. PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.6|
|Military||Resigned from Confederate Army as a Major under General J.E.B. Stuart.5|
|Death*||He died on 27 April 1870 in Capitol Building, Richmond, Virginia, at age 48; was killed in the falling of the gallery at the State Capitol in Richmond, VA., 1870. Dec. of N. Perkins page 213. "On Wednesday, April 27, the court-room in the second story of the Capitol was packed with an immense audience to hear the decision of the Court of Appeals in the Mayoralty case." HARPER'S WEEKLY JOURNAL OF CIVILIZATION, Vol. XIV - No. 698] New York, Saturday, May 14, 1870., THE RICHMOND CALAMITY.5|
|Burial*||He was buried in Berry Hill Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.7 |
|Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON b. 10 Nov 1830, d. 24 Jul 1914|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart (#3)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S226] Catalogue of the Officers and Alumni of Washington and Lee University, 1749-1888, J. Murphy and Company, Baltimore, 1888.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S30] They Followed the Plume The Story of J.E.B. Stuart and His Staff, Robert J. Trout, Stackpole Books, 1993.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122, Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S14] Berry Hill Plantation Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
|Last Edited||1 Mar 2018|