Sarah Alsey HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#110, b. 12 June 1817, d. 13 June 1883
|Father*||Hardin HAIRSTON b. 23 Oct 1786, d. 23 Oct 1862|
|Mother*||Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES1 b. 1 Oct 1791, d. 4 May 1845|
|Birth*||Sarah Alsey HAIRSTON was born on 12 June 1817 in Virginia.1|
|She was the daughter of Hardin HAIRSTON and Sarah "Sally" Stovall STAPLES.1|
|Married Name||As of 11 August 1842,her married name was BROOKS.|
|Marriage*||Sarah Alsey HAIRSTON married Thomas B. BROOKS, son of Micajah BROOKS and Georgia C. POOL, on 11 August 1842 in Patrick Co., Virginia; Minister Joshua Adams.1,2,3,4|
|Census 1850||Sarah Alsey HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Thomas B. BROOKS on 1 June 1850 in Lowndes County, Mississippi; Thomas B 34 GA, Sarah A 32 VA, Harriet E 15 MS (see Note), Mary T 4 MS, Hardin H 3 MS, James T W Brooks 15 VA (see Note), Samuel Thomas 45 SC (Overseer); Note: both Harriet and James were born 7 years before Thomas and Sarah were married and they are not listed in the Harden Bible with their other children. They could be from a previous relationship.4 |
|Census 1860*||Sarah Alsey HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 10 August 1860 in Crawford, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Ailsie Brooks 40 VA, Mary 14 MS, Harden 12 MS, Sallie 4 MS.5|
|Will||In Hardin HAIRSTON's will dated 29 September 1862, Sarah Alsey HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Hardin Hairston left a will dated 29 September 1862, Lowndes County Courthouse, Mississippi, page 122. PDF transcript and a copy of will attached.6|
|Census 1870*||She appeared on the census of 30 June 1870 in Brooksville, Noxubee County, Mississippi, Sarah A Brooks 46 VA, Bell 13 MS.7|
|Census 1880*||She appeared on the census of 11 June 1880 in Beat 5, Noxubee County, Mississippi, Mrs S A Brooks 62 VA, Belle Brooks 20 MS daughter, Mrs M T Helm 33 MS daughter, Watt Helm 9 MS grandson, Ada Hairston 17 AL niece, and 2 servants. Ada Hairston was the daughter of Sarah Hairston Brooks's deceased brother Robert Andrew Hairston who had lived across the state line in Greene County, Alabama.8|
|Death*||She died on 13 June 1883 in Noxubee County, Mississippi, at age 66.1|
|Burial*||She was buried in Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.9 |
|Thomas B. BROOKS b. 5 May 1816, d. 12 Jan 1860|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia - http://www.lva.virginia.gov
- [S70] Marriages of Patrick County, Virginia 1791-1850, Lela C. Adams, (Bassett, VA 1972).
- [S3044] Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S271] Will of Hardin Hairston - 29 Sep 1862, Lowndes County Will Book #1, page 122. Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9Q6-RFZ9 : 21 May 2014), Lowndes > Wills 1847-1889 vol 1 > image 82 of 341; county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi., Lowndes County Courthouse,.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S17] Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi, Information and photographs gathered from personal visits.
|Last Edited||27 Dec 2021|