Robert Calhoun PATTY
HAIRSTON.org ID#11, b. 20 January 1883, d. 6 April 1947
|Father*||Thomas Triplett PATTY b. 7 May 1856, d. 19 Dec 1899|
|Mother*||Mary Frances "Mollie" FOOTE b. 19 Oct 1859, d. 19 Aug 1908|
|Birth*||Robert Calhoun PATTY was born on 20 January 1883 in Patty home, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.1,2 |
|He was the son of Thomas Triplett PATTY and Mary Frances "Mollie" FOOTE.|
|Census 1900||Robert Calhoun PATTY appeared on the 1900 census of Mary Frances "Mollie" FOOTE on 14 June 1900 in Washington Street, District 67, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi; Mollie F 40, Thomas T 19, Robert C 17, Catherine L 15, William F 12, Henry M 10, Mary F 5.3|
|Marriage*||Robert Calhoun PATTY married Rebecca Wright POWELL, daughter of Hunter Judge POWELL and Mary Ella WRIGHT, on 8 August 1900 in Greenville, Washington County, Mississippi.2,4|
|Newspaper*||"MARRIED AT GREENVILLE --- Popular and Highly Connected Mississippi Couple Steal a March ----Greenville, Miss., Aug. 8 -- (Special)---Miss Ree Powell of Rolling Fork and R. C. Patty of Dudley were married here today at noon, the Rev. E. S. Archey performing the ceremony. The couple met here by mutual agreement. The bride came up from Vicksburg, where she has been visiting her sister, Mrs. Sims, She was accompanied by her sister and brother-in-law. The match can not be called a runaway, as there was no objection to the union, but at the same time the young couple took their friends by suprise. Both the bride and the groom are very popular and stand high in social circles." (newspaper copy, newspaper unknown, but probably a Macon newspaper).|
|Census 1910*||Robert Calhoun PATTY appeared on the census of 21 April 1910 in Washington Street, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, Head Robert C Patty 27, wife Rebecca P Patty, daughter Mary C Patty 8, son Robert P Patty 6, brother Thomas I Patty 29, sister Katherine L Patty 25, brother William L Patty 22, brother Henry M Patty 20, sister Mary F Patty 15.5|
|Draft Registration*||He was registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.6|
|Census 1920*||He appeared on the census of 1 January 1920 in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.7 |
|Photo*|| Robert C. Patty was photographed with his two grandsons, Robert E. Hairston (about 8) and George W. Hairston III (about 2). In the background is Rebecca Powell Patty. Picture was taken about 1929.|
|Census 1930*||He was Head of Household in the 1930 Federal Census on 2 April 1930 in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, Robert C. 47, Rebecca P. 48, his brother William L. 42.8|
|Occupation*||He was a salesman for a wholesale grocery store in 1940.9|
|Census 1940*||He was Head of Household in the 1940 Federal Census on 13 April 1940 in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi. Robert C Patty 57, wife Rebeccca Patty 58, brother William Long Patty 52, sister Mary (Patty) Combs 45 in a home on Washington Street.9|
|Death*||He died on 6 April 1947 in Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi, at age 64. Death certificate issued 26 April 1947. Copy attached.1,2,10|
|Burial*||He was buried in Odd Fellows Cemetery, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.1,11|
Robert C. Patty, 64, Buried Monday
Funeral services for Robert Calhoun Patty were held Monday morning at 10 o'clock at the family residence with the Rev. T. E. Gregory and the Rev. R D. Pearson officiating. Burial followed in Odd Fellows Cemetery with H. R. Dare & Company in charge. Mr. Patty had been in failing health for several years, and last week he contracted pneumonia which was the immediate cause of his death.
A member of a family long identified with the history of Noxubee county and rich in family tradition, Mr. Patty was born January 20, 1883. His parents were Thomas T. and Molly Foote Patty and he was a grandson of Judge H. W. Foote. Governor Fielding Wright, great grandson of Judge Foote, is a kinsman of the deceased. He attended the schools of Macon and on August 8, 1900, he was married to Miss Rebecca Powell, and they have lived in Macon and reared their family three. Mr. Patty has been associated with A. Klaus & Company for the past thirty years. Prior to that he had served as Tax Assessor for Noxubee county. A member of the Methodist church. Mr. Patty was also a member of the Knights of Pythias.
Survivors are his wife; a son, Robert Powell Patty of State College; a daughter, Mrs. George Hairston, Crawford'; a brother H. M. Patty, Macon; a sister, Mrs. C. G. Combs, Macon; two grandsons, Bob Hairston and George Hairston, Jr; two granddaughters Dorothy Patty and Beth Patty.
Serving as pallbearers were J. L. Klaus, George Demarest, Clyde Hughes, Henry Graham, Ralph Misso, Paul Silvey, LewIs Featherston and L. B. Lawler.
Honorary pallbearers were Charlie Cotton, Joe Bell, Andrew Mullens, Paul Graham, Jack Hammack, Ed Murphey, Dr. E. M. Murphey, Joe Eiland, W. P. Chancellor, M. H. Davis, Vernon Adams, W. B. Lucas, J. C. Bush, Dr. C. W. Salter, E. B. Ferris, Sr., Hugh Davis, F. E. Carleton, C. D. Featherston, W. H. Baker, George Ogden, R. N. Henley, J. W. Clippard and Riley Livingston.11
|Rebecca Wright POWELL b. 30 Oct 1881, d. 4 Dec 1950|
- [S39] Odd Fellows Cemetery, Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi.
- [S75] Bible - Patty Family Bible copied in 1947, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3633] "United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9XG-RQX : accessed 15 November 2021), Mollie F Patty, Beat 3 Macon town, Noxubee, Mississippi, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 67, sheet 16B, family 379, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,240,822., Family Search, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3649] Marriage - Robert Calhoun Patty & Rebecca Wright Powell - Marriage Record, Washington County, Mississippi. Vol. A, #2 1896-1906, Page 124. Family Search Film #007723827, Image 242.
- [S3634] "United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MPD8-YZ5 : accessed 15 November 2021), Robert C Patty, Macon Ward 2, Noxubee, Mississippi, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 87, sheet 6B, family 125, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1982), roll 754; FHL microfilm 1,374,767.
- [S128] World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.
- [S1920] 1920 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1930] 1930 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1940] 1940 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S51] Death Certificate.
- [S257] Obituary attached to this record.
- [S73] Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) - This information has been claimed, but I have no idea if it is accurate.
|Last Edited||28 Nov 2021|