HAIRSTON.org ID#3963, b. 14 December 1764, d. 8 September 1857
|Father*||Thomas MEEK1 d. a 1777|
|Birth*||Alexander MEEK was born on 14 December 1764 in Cumberland County, Maryland.2,3|
|He was the son of Thomas MEEK.1|
|Military||"Sometime in the month of July 1779, living then in Washington County Virginia & having enrolled my name on the muster roll, although not quite fifteen years of age, I was drafted and entered the service of the United States for a tour of three months in the Regiment commanded by Colonel Archer Campbell [Arthur Campbell]."2|
|Marriage*||Alexander MEEK married Agnes BUCHANON, daughter of Joseph BUCHANON and Ann WILSON, on 2 June 1786 in by Thomas Woolsey, Washington Co., Virginia.4|
|Marriage*||Alexander MEEK married Elizabeth KAYS on 25 October 1791 in Washington Co., Virginia.4|
|Court Record*||Oct 1811 Lincoln Co., Tennessee - indenture between Alexander Meek and William Mcksick - p 418-419.5|
|Property*||November 1818, Alexander and Keys Meek purchased 230 acres in Lincoln County, TN from Hugh Randolph. However, Hugh Randolph had transferred 1 1/3 acres of the 230 acres to the Baptist Church on 4 July 1818. The dispute ended up in the Tennessee Supreme Court in January of 1827.6|
|Census 1820*||Alexander MEEK appeared on the census of 7 August 1820 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males; 10-15 2, 16-25 2, 26-44 1, 45+ 1, Females; 10-15 2, 16-25 1, 45+ 1, slaves 1.7|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, Males; 5-9 1, 60-69 1, Females; 10-14 1, 20-29 1, 50-59 1, slaves 3.8|
|Military*||State of Tennessee, Lincoln Co.: County Court October Term 1832|
On this 19th of October 1832 personally appeared in Open Court before the Justices of the County Court of Lincoln County Tennessee now sitting Alexander Meek a resident of said County aged about 68 years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.2
|Residence*||He moved from Tennessee to Marshall County, Mississippi.9|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Marshall County, Mississippi, Males; 50-59 1, 70-79 1, Females; 30-39 1, 50-59 1, slaves 6.10|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 16 October 1850 in Marshall County, Mississippi; living with Charlotte Meek, age 44 born in Tennessee.11|
|Death*||He died on 8 September 1857 at age 92.3|
|Burial*||He was buried in Meek Family Cemetery, Marshall County, Mississippi.3|
|Agnes BUCHANON b. 1772, d. b 1791|
|Elizabeth KAYS d. Feb 1841|
- [S3172] American Revolutionary Soldiers of Franklin County Pennsylvania, compiled by Virginia Shannon Fendrick for the Franklin County Chapter Daughters of The American Revolution, Chambersburg, Penna. 1944.
- [S3173] Pension application of Alexander Meek S7218 f36VA -
Transcribed by Will Graves rev'd 5/22/13 http://revwarapps.org/s7218.pdf
- [S48] Find A Grave Website with Photo - only listings with photos of grave markers that are contemporary to the deceased individuals death are acceptable for genealogical proof.
- [S152] Dodd, Jordan, comp.. Virginia Marriages to 1800. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Virginia., Ancestry.com.
- [S3229] Lincoln County Tennessee Pioneers, Volume XXV No. 1, January 1996 - Jane Warren Waller, Texas.
- [S3171] Tennessee. Supreme Court. (1867-1972). Reports of cases argued and determined in the Supreme Court of Tennessee. St. Louis: Soule, Thomas, and Winsor., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3230] Secrist, M.; Lincoln County, Tennessee: History Revealed Through Biographical and Genealogical Sketches of Its Ancestors, Second Edition, 2012, Google Books.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||6 Jan 2022|