Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr.
HAIRSTON.org ID#39, b. 27 November 1784, d. 13 October 1863
|Father*||Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON1 b. 20 Sep 1750, d. 5 Mar 1827|
|Mother*||Elizabeth PERKINS1 b. 13 May 1759, d. 26 Jan 1819|
|Birth*||Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. was born on 27 November 1784 in Marrowbone, Henry County, Virginia.2,3,4|
|He was the son of Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Elizabeth PERKINS.1|
|College*||He graduated from Princeton University in 1805.5|
|Marriage*||Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. married Louisa HARDYMAN on 24 February 1811 in Greenway, Charles City, Virginia, at the home of Governor John Tyler, marriage security John Southall.6,5,7,8|
|Military*||He was a Brigadier General in the War of 1812.5|
|Census 1820*||Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. appeared on the census of 1820 in Henry County, Virginia, Males <10 3 (John 9, George 7, Nicholas 3), 26-44 1 (George 36), Females <10 2 (Elizabeth 5, Susan2), 16-25 1 (unknown), 25-44 1 (wife - Louisa 33), Slaves 65.9|
|Will||In Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 7 March 1820 in Henry County, Virginia, Col. George "Old Rusty" HAIRSTON Jr. was named as an heir.10|
|Census 1830*||He appeared on the census of 1830 in Henry County, Virginia, Males <5 1 (Samuel William), 5-9 1 (Robert Henry), 10-14 1 (Nicholas Hardyman), 15-19 1 (George Stovall), 30-39 1 (unknown), 40-49 1 (George), Females 5-9 1 (Louisa Hardyman), 10-14 1 (Susan Maria), 15-19 1 (Elizabeth), 30-39 1 (unknown), 40-49 1 (wife - Louisa), Slaves 138.11|
|Property*||Left Marrowbone and built Hordsville.3|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 16 October 1850 in Henry County, Virginia, his daughter Susan Hairston Martin and family are living with him.12|
|Census 1860*||He appeared on the census of 1860 in Henry County, Virginia, Geo 75, Robt 36, Mary 5 (Robert's daughter), Bettie 2 (Robert's daughter), Thomas Pugh 57.4|
|Property||Owned G. H. Iron Works and Union Furnace Iron Works, which would later become Fairystone Park in Patrick County, Virginia.3|
|Death*||He died on 13 October 1863 in Hordsville, Henry County, Virginia, at age 78.2|
|Burial*||He was buried in Hordsville Plantation, Bassett, Henry County, Virginia.2|
|Louisa HARDYMAN b. 25 Dec 1787, d. 23 Oct 1847|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S249] George Hairston Family Bible - 1750-1916, Peter Hairston Bible - 1750-1928, The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated Out of the Original Greek: and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised. Cooperstown, (N.Y.) Sterotyped, Printed and Published by H. & E. Phinney, 1829., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S16] Hordesville Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.
- [S24] Hall, Wm. Kearney 1918-. Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia. 1957 Ann Arbor, Michigan., Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S145] History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia, Virginia G. Pedigo, Lewis Gravely Pedigo, (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1933), Google Books.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell. The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations. Roanoke, Virginia: n.pub., 1940.
- [S217] Pippenger, Wesley E. Death Notices from Richmond, Virginia Newspapers, 1841-1853. Richmond: Virginia Genealogical Society, 2002. Print., personal collection of Robert E. Hairston, Jr.
- [S3076] Virginia Marriage Records, From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly; Indexed by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984, Ancestry.com.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S3296] Will of George Stovall Hairston -1820 - copy of will recorded in case #1833-008, Amos A. Atkinson & Wife vs. Exrs. of George Hairston, Chancery Records, Library of Virginia, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||2 Jan 2017|